The Library is a warm and welcoming place for students, teachers, and parents. It is the goal of the library program to develop and encourage a love of reading for all students and assist them in becoming critical thinkers who are effective, independent and responsible users of information. Parents are always welcome in the library as volunteers for shelving and book fair.
Book checkout policies:
Each student is responsible for all books he or she has checked out and must be able to:
- Safely carry all books
- Keep track of all books
- Keep books away from pets and young siblings
- Keep books away from food and drink
- Return books on time and in good condition
Book checkout limits guidelines (build up to these quantities as the school year progresses)
- Kindergarten: 2
- 1st grade: 3
- 2nd grade: 4
- 3rd through 5th grade: unlimited (the number they can safely carry and feel they can be responsible for)
- Having a book on his/her record will NOT keep a student from checking out from the school library. Overdue notices will be sent home and students are expected to bring their books back on time and in good condition.
- If students in K-2 have reached their limit but have forgotten, damaged, or lost a book, they will still be able to check out 1, even if that puts them over the guideline number for the grade.
- If students in grades 3-5 reach “overdue” status and haven’t returned their books, they will still be able to check out 1 when they visit the library with their class. If you have any questions, please reach out! Thank you for your support of our library!Barbara Oswalt703-237-7006
Name: Barbara Oswalt
Experience (years of teaching, other jobs you have had in the county): After 20 years in the telecommunications industry and enjoying the job of Project Manager very much, I went to graduate school to become a school librarian. I am in my 9th year here and love the connection of Sleepy Hollow and my home state of New York.
About Mrs. Oswalt: My husband and I have three children and are (mostly) empty nesters! I like searching for sharks’ teeth at the beach, traveling, taking pictures, visiting with family, and eating ice cream.
What she likes the most about working with our students: Our students are great! I love to hear their ideas, see them share what they know, and be part of opening up the world to them through books. I try to build our library collection around their interests and it’s always very gratifying when I can connect a student with the right book at the right time.
Our Library Catalog
Databases and eBooks
Log on with FCPS username and password.
TumbleBooks has over 1,000 titles including story books, read alongs, videos, nonfiction, math stories, puzzle games and more. See your teacher for username/password.